Sunday, September 9, 2007

Two Summaries of "Don't Blame the Eater"

Summary 1
In David Zinczenko’s article, “Don’t Blame the Eater,” Zinczenko argues that, while fast food restaurants, which are cheap and plentiful, but are unhealthy for the nation’s youth, there is no other option that is healthier and as cheap and convenient as fast food restaurants. I on the other hand tend to disagree. It is very easy to find healthier options that are just as inexpensive as fast food restaurants. It is very easy to walk into your neighborhood Jewel or Super Target and buy a pre-made turkey sandwich and an apple for about the same price as a fast food meal. These grocery stores are just as plentiful as the unhealthy fast food restaurants, and are just as easy to purchase food from. The foods bought from these grocery stores also have the nutrition facts printed right on them, so the consumer always knows what he is eating.

Summary 2
In David Zinczenko’s article, “Don’t Blame the Eater,” Zinczenko blames fast food companies for causing obesity in many youths around the nation. The fast food restaurants, which are the only option for many of today’s youths, are causing obesity. These fast food restaurants are the only option for youths whose parents are often at work during the day, so they fall victim to the trap of delicious, cheap, and convenient meals offered at the fast food restaurants. The problem is that most of these youths do not know the dangers of eating such meals on a regular basis, such as obesity, high cholesterol, and diabetes. The main problem is that the fast food companies are only there to make money, they do not care what happens to its consumers, and they know that people will continue to purchase their meals because it is cheap and fast. If people were truly educated about the nutrition of the meals, it might turn some consumers away looking for the healthier options

I agree with Zinczenko’s argument that fast food companies are causing obesity in many of today’s youths, but I do not believe that the lawsuits held against them will prove effective. Taking money away from a multi-billion dollar company is not going to have much of an effect, especially when looking at the amount of money these companies throw around on advertising. I feel that the only way to get these companies to change policies is to get the Food and Drug Administration involved. The FDA, which is a company that regulates food, dietary and many other parts of everyday life can easily instill policies upon these fast food companies that will require nutrition facts to be included on packaging in a simple manner, or to make them serve healthier options too. I do not feel that merely placing a lawsuit against a company with so much money will cause them to change anything.

Comparison of Summaries
In my first summary, I completely disagree with everything that Zinczenko says. While he argues that while fast food companies are unhealthy and cause obesity in many of today’s youths, they are really the only option that is cheap and convenient. The only parts that I summarize in my essay are the ones that I disagree with, because I felt it would be inefficient to write anything else from his article, because it is not relevant to my summary.

In my second summary, I agree with much of what Zinczenko says in his article, but I disagree with his solution to the problem. Because I agree with what he says, I summarize the vast majority of the article, unlike in my previous summary in which I only summarize with which I disagree with. I felt that because I agree with it all, it is all relevant to my summary and belongs in it. In addition, in my second summary, I disagree with a part of his article, where I explain why I disagree and what I think is the best solution to the problem.

While both these summaries summarize the same article, they are very different in their execution., In which one agrees completely but changes the solution, and one disagrees completely

3 comments:

kate's cat eats cake said...

I agree that going to the FDA would be a good approach. Suing them takes away the validity of a person's argument because its almost ridiculous. Though fast food has been the cause of people's obesity, its not McDonald's fault for supplying it.

s6 8 said...

its obvious that you support the second summary because not only did you write two paragraphs, you flat out say that you agree with it. you did do a good job summarizing and stating the arguments though.

josef said...
This comment has been removed by the author.